Tuesday, December 16, 2008

What's it all about????

As a kid I loved Christmas. It was all about getting gifts and being out of school for 2 weeks. And about wishing for snow. Nowadays I have different thoughts and feelings. I know people who are Christian who don't celebrate Christmas as Jesus' birth because it isn't a biblical holiday, but one created later to coincide with pagan rituals so Christians would have a winter festival. I know that our true joyful celebration should be the first day of each week as we remember Christ's death, burial and resurrection as we take the Lord's Supper. I know the history of why Christmas began and I used to be in the group that didn't celebrate it as Jesus' birth. But now my thoughts are changing. I am a Christian and I don't want to have a holiday devoted to selfishness and materialism, but rather I want to"do all for the glory of God". So I think that this is a wonderful holiday to celebrate as Jesus' birth. Even though I enjoy Santa and surprises (and Santa is part of our Christmases), I don't want Santa to be held as a god of sorts in my kids' eyes. I want them to think not of what they want, but of what Jesus wants from us-to love the Lord your God with all your heart and to love your neighbor as yourself. I know all the decorations and trees and gifts and cards are in no way connected with what the original holiday was meant to be-a day of praise, prayer and devotion. But I love all the festive decor and sparkly things and the pretty paper and the tasty dishes, and I don't think there is anything wrong with having all this, as long as we don't let it rule our holiday, and as long as we truly remember to use this time to serve others, praise our God, and give to those around us. The best part of Chrismas to me is seeing joy and surprise on people's faces when good is done for them. I love that! What do I hate about Christmas? Seeing ungratefulness when good is done and gifts are given, and seeing people be selfish and greedy about getting gifts. This should be a time of love for others and love for God and His Son Jesus. I am going to start making Christmas about pleasing my Savior and doing for others, and hopefully my kids will love doing this, too! I think they will. May the Lord be our first priority always!

No comments: