Thursday, May 2, 2013

The Spirit In Us

I was about to finish laundry this morning when I saw my bed was a mess...kids, you know. But on my bed I found a scrap of paper with notes I wanted blog about a while back concerning God's Holy Spirit living within His people. These are my views based on my study. They may not always be exactly like this, but right now, this is my belief.
             I guess laundry can wait....

I have heard people say God's spirit led them, God's spirit is the scripture and only speaks to us that way, God's spirit told them to do this or that. I have my belief and scripture to go along with it.
First of all, in the studies I have done, I found over and over the bible saying the spirit is in us. This was said in the days when the scriptures were not fully written or readily available. I believe the Holy Spirit does indeed dwell in Christians, and when we pray, that spirit guides us in our decision making and choices when we are truly seeking the right path. I do not however believe that His spirit is confined to the scriptures. I believe we are all spirits/souls and God's Spirit is alive and well in the unseen world (along with active angels and demons), living in our own souls, which also cannot be seen, yet live inside our human forms. Nor do I believe that it works the way it did in the first century as a supernatural spiritual gift to confirm the written word that was to come.

Here are the verses I want to share.
 I tend to use ESV or NKJV or NASB.

for it is not you who speak, but the Spirit of your Father who speaks in you. Matthew 10:20

.Jesus answered, “Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God. John 3:5

 But you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. Now if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he is not His. 10 And if Christ is in you, the body is dead because of sin, but the Spirit is life because of righteousness. 11 But if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, He who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who dwells in you. Romans 8:9-11

Do you not know that you are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God dwells in you?  1 Corinthians 3:16

Therefore he who rejects this does not reject man, but God, who has also given[a] us His Holy Spirit. 1 Thessalonians 4:8

Or do you think that the Scripture says in vain, “The Spirit who dwells in us yearns jealously”? James 4:5

Now he who keeps His commandments abides in Him, and He in him. And by this we know that He abides in us, by the Spirit whom He has given us. 1 John 3:24

By this we know that we abide in Him, and He in us, because He has given us of His Spirit.  1 John 4:13

And I will pray the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may abide with you forever— 17 the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees Him nor knows Him; but you know Him, for He dwells with you and will be in you. 1 John 14:16-17

That good thing which was committed to you, keep by the Holy Spirit who dwells in us. 2 Timothy 1:14

No comments: