Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Chicken Enchiladas

I get lots of people asking for my recipe so tonight i decided to post it. Loosely. I made this up so all is approximate, but you will get the idea. Be bold. Experiment! Ready?? Here we go!
First I make the sauce. It consists of 1 can cream of chicken soup, 1 can of water, 1/2 cup sour cream, some cumin, a couple tablespoons of taco seasoning, and about 3/4 cup salsa. Mix well. Add 1 cup shredded cheese. Shred your own, please. That pre shredded stuff is coated with some nasty powdery junk. Notice my block of cheese. A lovely item! We buy 2 of these every month and sometimes run out....notice it says 5 pounds???? HA ha! it is a great value, though.
Then you will want to cook about 3 chicken breasts, or use half a boiled, deboned chicken, or what I did today was use 5 or 6 boneless thighs. I seasoned them with steak seasoning by Tex-Joy, and some cumin. Then I chopped them pretty finely with a big knife and mixed them with some shredded cheese, about 3/4 cup of cheese, I think. Looks pretty in the red bowl, don't ya think? I love that bowl.....

Then you use a spoonful or two in flour tortillas (great value brand are the softest) and start rolling and packing them in tightly--see the above out of order photo.
Rolling...........
Roll them tightly......until the pan is full
Then pour on the sauce and spread to cover the enchiladas.
Then add more cheese to the top. Be generous, now! Then bake these babies for about 30 minutes in a 350 oven until nice and bubbly. I like to serve these with our favorite healthy side dish of tortilla chips and salsa! If I feel really energetic you might get a can of ranch style beans, too. Or some guacamole...but don't hold your breath for those.

They are great and we MIGHT have two left over after all 7 of us eat----maybe.

Oh and I should add, I do not like the smell or taste of sour cream and have NEVER eaten a chicken enchilada in a restaurant. But I like mine! Maybe you will too.....

No comments: