Saturday, October 1, 2011

Apples of Gold

Reading vet literature
Kittens were fun.
playing with kittens
Vet field trip
eating lunch at Braums
Lunch fun
Grocery shopping.
Pioneer days
Wizard of Oz show
Vet clinic
On stage
Performing ballet at nursing home....

And so another week has come and gone. And boy was it busy! We got some school done, but we learned more from life this week. Monday was a field trip to a local vet where we got to see animal surgery and how they care for animals. Tuesday was our busy activity day and they get worn out from the physical activity. Wednesday was a trip to the dentist and afternoon shopping. Thursday was a half day of school and a half day at the children's museum where we bought a year long membership. We had the whole place to ourselves for almost 3 hours and they played together fabulously the whole time! It was a priceless day! These kinds of days will not last much longer with all five of them, so it was a true joy! Friday was co-op classes, interrupted by a ballet performance at a nursing home, followed by grocery shopping, and a night of pizza and movies with the family. I love Friday night family nights! So do the kids. And Saturday brought a trip to Sam's club, the boys had an all day party at the Smith's house (great fun!), Liz had a skating party with Sarah, and I took the other two shopping for fall shirts. And now we are about to wind down with baths and family time so we will be ready for worship tomorrow.
As for the title, it is from a bible verse. Words fitly spoken are like apples of gold...it's a proverb...and I experienced that very thing this week. My oldest child, a dear young man, was sitting with me one evening and I was feeling melancholy about the children growing up and thinking of all the things I wish I had done differently. I said, "Son, I am so sorry for all the mistakes I have made. I hope you have had a good childhood, but I wish I hadn't been so schedule oriented and so concerned with grabbing every teachable moment. I wish i could go back and just enjoy all of you more, and just play with you and read to you all. I'm sorry." He just looked at me and said, "I don't wish that. If you hadn't done all the things you did we wouldn't be the people we are today. I wouldn't change a thing."
I love that boy! I needed to hear that. I told the others and they agreed with their brother.
Hope you had a great week!

No comments: