Monday, September 10, 2012

Homeschooling Week 4

A lot has happened in the past few weeks. It is hard to believe that four school weeks have passed! I was, and always am, a bit concerned about how the year will progress. So far it has gone amazingly smooth. Having the 9th and 7th graders independent is SO incredibly helpful, not to mention that the 9th grader is doing Sonlight. I bought the manual for the year for him. It has 36 weeks of lessons all laid out week by week with 36 tabs. All i had to do was get the books and materials and he was set. No lesson planning at all! He just works through the weeks and that was worth every bit of the $85 I paid for that manual.
The 7th grader is getting her plans made by me, but her LA and math are laid out in 36 week format and she is reading literature for history and has a 36 week science schedule, so all I have to plan for her is bible and fine arts.
That leaves me the 4th/5th grader, 3rd grader and 1st grader. I just rotate them through math, LA, and bible before lunch and we do history/science/spanish, PE, and fine arts as a group in the afternoons. I justperiodically check on the older kids and grade science tests. It is working very well.
All kids are loving their dance classes and ECD. They are mostly getting together regularly with friends, and those who aren't, don't complain about it much. We registered for co-op and begin classes this friday. The oldest is taking art, economics and drama, the 7th grader is taking survival skills, geography and drama.The 4th/5th grader is taking chemistry, schoolhouse rock and mission field. The 3rd grader is taking chemistry, survival skills and PE. the first grader is taking latin, mathtacular and snacktivities. With 17 families we are heavy on older kids once again. It will be great though.
I have been working on a paper scrapbook for homeschool and plan to continue, but from here on out I am going to use a program called "my publisher" and have them make it from my digital photos. I'd rather pay them to make a pro book than spend the time pasting for hours. Much easier and longer lasting.
I also ordered some jersey fabric and plan to sew two dresses andsee how they turn out. I think I may have to sew in thespring for the girls and need a practiced hand.
We spens the last two weeks doing a LOT of shopping. The oldest two kids needed church stuff and shoes and husband was in need of work clothes. Labor Day sales were quite productive, but the shoes were costly! But hopefully the oldest two are almost through growing their feet, and the shoes will last a good while. We can pass most of it down to the younger ones...except pants and skirts. The variation in waist sizes in our house is just astounding! But God makes peopel in all shapes, sizes, and statures, so it should not be surprising that they can't wear everything of each others'.
As always we are trying hard to be great parents, protectors of our kids, and we fail often and learn along the way, and there are heataches, but we are doing the best we know how, and so far I am thankful for the work God is doing in these precious kids.
I will try to update more than every 4 weeks. Blessings to all!

No comments: