Thursday, May 14, 2009

Work Boxes

Sounds neat, right? If you know me, you know I LOVE anything organizational that makes life run more smoothly, so when a friend told me about this concept, i had to check it out. Truly the original concept was to have 12 shoe boxes per child prefilled with activities for the day. The kids job was to work sequentially thru them until done. Then their school day was over. Well, I don't see the practicality of filling 60 boxes (5 kids worth) every day making my life easier! So once again I am in modification mode. Been thinking on this all week and here is my plan for modified work boxes:
No boxes!! The kids who are independent readers get a file folder with an envelope in each side. One side is for assignment cards and the other side is for completed assignment cards. Each day their folder will have index cards by subject in the assignment side, with their projects written out. As they work independently and complete assignments, they move the card to the completed side, and place their work in the center of the folder. When all cards are completed, and work is in the folder, they are done with independent work. Since we do unit studies, they won't always do all work this way. Much of the afternoon will be active group learning. But this will give them ownership, and visualization of progress. Little kids may get a plastic tub of preselected items for their personal time, while I work one on one with them in skill areas. We gave it a dry run this morning and the kids loved it! So I guess we will use this method starting next week.
Love the new ideas!
Oh, also in the newest issue of The Old Schoolhouse magazine, there were recipes for natural cleaning products so I gathered the ingredients (baking soda, vinegar, water, essential oils and olive oil) and am now making my own non-toxic cleaners! Lovely!!!

No comments: