Sunday, November 16, 2008

CHEFS Spelling Bee




Jacob and Emily participated in the CHEFS annual spelling bee on Thursday night. Jacob got second place. Emily didn't place, but she did very well. Elizabeth was going to compete but I discouraged her. Now before you start thinking bad of me, let me explain. I didn't realize this mistake until after the contest began, but the kids were given words from their current grade level instead of the grade level they had just completed. This made it very difficult since say, a second grader in November, has barely learned one third of the second grade words, yet those are the words they were asked to spell. I knew Elizabeth would have had trouble with the kindergarten words, let alone the first grade words and that is why I discouraged her. She was not upset in the least. It was still fun for almost everyone.

No comments: